Re: Switching the default /bin/sh to dash

Frans Pop wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>
>> Hum, AFAIK if it [debconf prompt] defaults to yes, it will be changed on
>> upgrade for anyone who has not yet seen the question. So that doesn't
>> work if your plan is to not change it except for new installations.
>
> I've not seen any response to this, but it seems to me to be a very valid
> point.

I though I had replied, sorry.

> dash currently is optional, so there will be on a lot of existing systems
> on which it is not installed. How is the planned strategy going to
> prevent dash becoming the default shell on existing systems when it gets
> installed for the first time because of its raised priority?

There are two, both ugly actually, ways to do it:
a) by making dpkg pre-depend on dash so that it is installed and can see if
an older dpkg is installed
b) by finding a file that could tell us the installation date and base the
decision on that.

I've personally had no time to check if there's any file installed by dpkg
that could indicate the installation date. But another option, as some
people have already expressed, is to simply make the change on all the
installations.

Unless somebody knows a file that could be used to do it the b) way I guess
I won't have another option but to send another proposal stating that all
the installations would be modified.

In case the reasons are not obvious enough, a D-I-based solution is not a
candidate as newly created chroots (debootstrap-created) should get dash
and not bash.

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert