Re: Switching the default /bin/sh to dash

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Artur R. Czechowski wrote:
>> > What about debconf question?
>>
>> dash already has one, the idea is to make it essential and default to
>> yes, so that as soon as it is installed the symlink is changed. If you
>> wish to have dash installed but not as /bin/sh you can always
>> dpkg-reconfigure dash.
>
> Hum, AFAIK if it defaults to yes, it will be changed on upgrade for
> anyone who has not yet seen the question. So that doesn't work if your
> plan is to not change it except for new installations.

I've not seen any response to this, but it seems to me to be a very valid
point.

dash currently is optional, so there will be on a lot of existing systems
on which it is not installed. How is the planned strategy going to
prevent dash becoming the default shell on existing systems when it gets
installed for the first time because of its raised priority?