Re: DEP 5 proposal omits original Debianization information

On 17:27 Mon 08 Jun     , Ben Finney wrote:
> Deng Xiyue <manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> writes:
>
> > According to Debian Policy Manual section 12.5:
> >
> >     In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream
> >     sources (if any) were obtained. *It should name the original
> >     authors of the package and the Debian maintainer(s) who were
> >     involved with its creation.*
>
> Recording in the ‘debian/copyright’ the URL where the original source
> was obtained makes sense.
>
> I don't see why ‘debian/copyright’ needs to “name the Debian
> maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation”; surely the best
> location for that is the already-mandatory package maintainer data on
> entries in ‘debian/changelog’.

Agreed.

debian/control already list the names of maintainer and uploaders.
debian/changelog entries tell us who was involved and who did the first uploads.

So I see no needs in having the debian maintainer(s) name who were involved in
the creation in debian/copyright too. It's an information duplication.

Greetings,
--
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <xoswald@debian.org>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian Developer