Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:03:00AM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> On Sunday 07 June 2009 22:51:10 Noah Slater wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 10:44:41PM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> > > Which implementation could we reasonably expect most people to understand
> > > (to include people not knowledgeable with shell escaping)? For example,
> > > consider what the two fields may mean to a Windows user.

> > To a Windows user?

> > Heh, I think this demonstrates the one weakness of your argument. The kind
> > of person who would be reading the source format of these files is not your
> > average Windows user, nor your average Debian user.

> > One of the ultimate goal is to parse this file and present via a GUI.

> Oh. I didn't know of such a goal and the DEP draft doesn't mention this. I've
> always thought the copyright file was meant to be most readable by people.

The DEP draft doesn't mention this because it's not a goal *of* the DEP.  I
don't think I've ever heard of this intended use case before, and I
certainly don't consider it key.  I guess this happens to be one of Noah's
personal goals.

> So ultimately it's going to be expected that people read these copyright files
> through a GUI, correct?

That sounds like an uninteresting corner case to me.  People certainly
aren't going to be *writing* them through a GUI, and I think that's at least
as relevant.