Re: no deprecation of /usr as a standalone filesystem

Marco d'Itri wrote:
This is relevant for udev becase kernel events can trigger the
execution of programs at the very beginning of the boot when only the
root is mounted.

While currently packages can and do easily implement workarounds for
this situation (like waiting in a loop for the files in /usr they need
to appear), in the future more complex modifications could be needed.

For me it is not yet totally clear.
You make easier some part of the problem, but it is seems to me that it is
not a definitive solution:
- there is still a close windows in initram, and possibility
  at early rc scripts.
- /var is still not mounted, so programs could not write they status, nor
  log failures
- care about security implication: user that triggers events before system
  is fully up (e.g. busy resources)
- and I think other usual system assumption are not fulfilled, so
  maintainers should be trained on what they could assume on udev sequence.

For these reasons, I think only few events (explicitly ack by maintainers)
should be handled by early boot, and the rest run later (udev events are
already asynchronous by definition).

All things considered, I have no immediate plan to push for deprecating
a standalone /usr.

Eventually we could move the mounting of /usr earlier (maybe also in initrams),
and support only few configurations (but we support a lot of different
sources for root, so I think this is not a real limit).

ciao
	cate