Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> writes:
> On 21/03/2009 Mike Hommey wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 03:58:34PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

>>> Honestly, if you cant deal with listing the Authors/(C) holders - dont
>>> maintain a package. It is not much work to list them. (It might be a
>>> lot of work using the "new" format, but noone *requires* this format,
>>> especially not ftpmaster. It has *no* gain for us at all, we couldnt
>>> care less if you use it or not).

>> You win.

>> I hereby orphan xulrunner and iceape. As for iceweasel and webkit,
>> there is a comaintainer on both, so that's up to them.

> I cannot believe that. Despite deeply appreciating your decision, it
> makes me very sad to see another complex and important package losing
> its competent and valuable maintainer.

> Joerg, please don't you see the consequences of your harsh discussion
> style? I've quite the feeling that with getting more and more important
> within debian you get more and more authoritarian as well.  sorry for
> these straight words. it's not that i wouldn't appreciate your valuable
> work for debian, but please refrain from exploiting the power you got.

Personally, I'm rather annoyed at both of them.  There are people in the
project who are willing to invest time and energy into finding mutually
agreeable solutions and talking through problems, but if people explode as
soon as the discussion gets heated and make drastic decisions before
anyone even has a chance to mediate, what's the point?

The problem doesn't have to be solved yesterday.  We're early in the
squeeze development cycle, nothing is currently happening that can't wait
a little bit, and there's time to talk through it and let initial
positions moderate and people calm down.  Can we PLEASE not escalate every
heated discussion immediately?  If you're really upset about something,
take a few days away from it and think about it for a while.  Write the
heated message, file it somewhere, and decide whether you still want to
send it tomorrow.

For that matter, you're certainly welcome to mail me directly and either
let off steam or ask that a point be represented in public that you're too
steamed to make.  I expect there are others who would volunteer to do the
same.