Re: changes in pam: automatic configuration of PAM modules

Dne Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:50:52 -0700
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> napsal(a):

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:42:11PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > As a result of the prototyping work done on this within Ubuntu, patches are
> > > already available for several module packages (libpam-krb5, libpam-ldap,
> > > libpam-smbpass, ecryptfs-utils, libpam-ck-connector) which I will work on
> > > submitting to the Debian maintainers over the next week or so.  If
>
> > Could this also be used to automatically setup gnome-keyring?
>
> Probably not, because gnome-keyring's PAM module isn't generally applicable
> and shouldn't be used for all services.  You probably only want this module
> used by gdm, gnome-screensaver, and maybe a handful of others - you don't
> want the module triggering on every POP connection, web authentication, etc.

On the other side Gnome keyring is usually used on desktop and most
people do not run much servers which authenticate against PAM there.
I've always used gnome-keyring from common PAM configuration and never
had problems with that.