Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>
> > In practice, there's one exception, the debian tarball can contain
> > binary files that are installed outside of the debian dir. Those are
> > necessary listed in debian/source/include_binaries.
>
> According to the dpkg-source man page, you mean include-binaries.

Right, indeed.

> Is there a complete specification of these new source control files?
> (Exact syntax, complete list of control files, etc.)  We'll need it to
> write Lintian checks, and dpkg-source doesn't seem to have that
> information gathered into one place.

There's nothing else than the dpkg-source man page. I've noted
in my TODO to write a section "File formats".

debian/source/format contains only the format (a single line, no
leading/trailing spaces allowed, only the first line is read but
it's probably best to not allow anything else).

debian/source/include-binaries contains one filename per line.
Leading and trailing spaces are stripped. Lines starting with a #
(possibly prefixed by spaces) are comments and are skipped. Empty lines
are not allowed.

> Also, the dpkg-source man page implies that Format in the source section
> of debian/control is just another way of specifying the format:
>
>    --format=value
>           Try first the given format for building the source package. If
>           used multiple times, they are tried in order. It doesn’t
>           override any explicit Format field in debian/control but it does
>           override any format given in debian/source/format.
>
> but from this thread I gather that it shouldn't be used.  What should
> Lintian do in this area?

I'm not sure. I started by using this field and over development, it
appeared to me that it was a bad choice. I recycled it as a way to
override the format in a quick and dirty way (because dpkg-buildpackage
doesn't allow to provide arbitrary arguments to dpkg-source yet).

But is this really needed or should I rather simply drop this feature ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/