Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown information field 'Format' in input data in
> general section of control info file
>
> Should I file a bug against dpkg-dev for that?
>
> And another minor issue: vim doesn't know about the new Format field in
> debian/control yet. It seems it [1] has to be updated.

No, I should rather remove that part of the documentation. The official
way to indicate that we want to use another format is creating
debian/source/format (like I indicated in my mail) and not that
non-supported field.

The underlying idea is that the desired format might depend from where the
package is built (from a VCS, from another source package, etc.) and
that debian/control should always be the same no matter what source
package has been used to extract it.

Updating debian/source/format on the fly is also better than updating
debian/control and that's needed if you unpack a non-standard source
package to ensure that we rebuild it with the same format.

> Build-Depends, it would imho be useful if lintian issued a warning, that this
> build-dep is no longer required with 3.0 (quilt).

Please file a wishlist bug against it, then. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/