Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Particularly in the case of cdrecord, I don't believe there is enough of
a case that we absolutely must have it that we should take a risk on the
licensing. If, on the other hand, you want your software in Debian, you
need to take into account our point of view. After all, surely you agree
that there is no problem with dual-licensing libscg? So what does it
cost you? If you are not interested in having it in Debian then I'm
unclear why you are posting to our mailing lists...

Attacks from Debian against the cdrtools project caused the license to be
changed. Debian now needs to live with this change.

Unfortunately it is not Debian who have to live with it, but the users around
the world. Debian is not being particularly harmed, but the users are. They
are being forced to use programs which are not keeping up with modern hardware
etc. I understand that there is a lot of ill will between Schilling and
Debian, but the only ones getting hurt in the crossfire are innocent
civilians. And they have no idea why they are being hurt. This thread started
with such a cry of pain.

Wrong again, instead I explaind already you why this is not the case.
The act of compiling does not create a derived work.

I think that legally this is unclear. I believe no US court has ever ruled on
the issue, and that is the defining character. Without that we have legal
theories of what "derived work" means in software.