Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:09:29PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> You are uninformed: libc on Linux is under LGPL and the LGPL is as
> "incompatible" to GPL as the CDDL is "incomparible" to the GPL.

Er?

-----
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007
[...]

7. Additional Terms.

"Additional permissions" are terms that supplement the terms of this
license by making exceptions from one or more of its conditions.
[...]
-----

... is what the GPLv3 says. And the LGPLv3:

-----
GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007

[...]

This version of the GNU Lesser General Public License incorporates the
terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License, supplemented by
the additional permissions listed below
[...]
-----

Or, in other words: the LGPLv3 *is* the GPLv3, using the "Additional
Terms" clause from §7 of the GPLv3. Exactly which part of that is
incompatible with itself?

Oh, and in case you are going to argue that LGPLv2 is incompatible with
GPLv2:

-----
GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, June 1991
[...]
  3. You may opt to apply the terms of the orderinary GNU General Public
License instead of this license to a given copy of the Library.  To do
so, you must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so that
they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2,
instead of to this License.
[...]
-----

Not that I expect you to agree to my interpretation; I'm sure you'll
find that this clause is invalid in whatever dialect of English you're
speaking, and so that it's illegal, invalid, silly, or all of the above.

Don't bother to reply, I won't read it.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22