Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Bill Unruh <unruh@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> > Also please note that there is nothing stopping you from building your
> > own packages of any software you like that isn't in Debian and hosting
> > them on your own web server.  It's really not difficult to do.
> >
> > Bill, you could become the unofficial cdrecord maintainer for Debian if
> > you want to do the work and host it on your own server.
>
> I do not think we are there yet. The claim is that cdrecord cannot be
> distributed as any part of Debian because of legal issues. I am trying to
> find out what the issues are, and narrow them down to their essense.

In the unlikely event that you were to resolve the legal issues, you would
still have to find someone to maintain the package.

If you package it yourself then anyone who believes that there is no legal
problem can use your package and therefore you will provide an immediate
benefit.  If the legal issues are eventually resolved to the satisfaction of
the Debian lawyers then your package can become the base of the new cdrecord
package in Debian.

I have not seen any evidence that your contribution to this discussion has
done any good.

> I just find it an unhappy situation for users that someone who has clearly
> put in a huge amount of time and effort in creating a working open source
> software project, one that everyone who uses Linux needs and could use,
> cannot have his product distributed. It does no-one any good, and thus I
> feel that trying to concentrate on the essense might help mitigate that
> situation.
> There is a problem, in which the users are caught in the middle.
>
> (Note that my coding skills are pretty primative, making my ability to act
> as a competent maintainer doubtful.)

Perhaps it would be best if you left discussion of this matter to the people
who can do the coding.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog