Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:

I believe that you mean the above to apply to mkisofs, not to
cdrtools, which is a bunch of different program. The programs which
are purely CDDL I assume you have no problem with distributing
(despite your discomfort with CDDL).

I actually haven't drawn a distinction between them because it's not
clear to me that Joerg is actually the copyright holder of every
single part of cdrtools, and thus may not actually be able to
relicense the parts that are claimed to be purely CDDLed. The solution

He certainly does claim to be the copyright holder and as having the right to
license them under CDDL, and I think barring solid evidence to the contrary,
one should accept him at his word. Otherwise we open a huge can of worms for
every single program in Linux.

Given that acceptance, I assume that the concern is about mkisofs,
  and libscg and not the other parts.

I proposed[1] would resolve even this ambiguity, which is why I didn't
bother to discuss it.

At present I think we should concentrate on agreeing what the problem is.
Solutions are easier when the problem is clear. They may still not be possible, but they should be easier.

Note that since the kernel is GPL2, not GPL3, I assume you meant
GPL2 in the above.

No, I meant GPLv3, as I assume that's a more palletable license for
Joerg than GPLv2. It has nothing to do with the kernel. It doesn't
make any difference to me which version is chosen, though.

I assume that you are not saying that Debian will only distribute
GPL3 works.

That would be a correct assumption, since I didn't say that.

Agreed, you did not say it. I just wanted to make sure it was not to be
implicitly read into your statement.

Don Armstrong

0: Clearly, if we were to take away the chicken, we'd soon have no
eggs (and vice versa).
1: I should note that I proposed this solution more than two and a
half years ago, so it's not like I'm saying anything new here:

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     unruh@physics.ubc.ca