Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

Hello Steve,

Am 2009-03-02 00:23:47, schrieb Steve McIntyre:
> Michelle,
>
> You may have no clue about SCSI programming, but I'd hope you have
> some about how to report bugs. I don't see any wodim bugs from you
> describing your problem, which makes it a little difficult for us to
> do anything for you.

I had installed wodim and before I send a bugreport, I try to figure out
whats going on.  And all I know was, that wodim told me after 20 minutes
the CD was ready...  No error message or something like this.

So, if I write a bugreport:

----8<---------------------------------------------
Package: wodim
Version: x.y.z
Severity: normal

wodim does not work and I can not tell you why,
because there are no errors.
----8<---------------------------------------------

You would anser:

----8<---------------------------------------------
To: NNNN-done@...
Subject: User is a A....le

...does not know how to write bugreports
----8<---------------------------------------------

It took me two month to figure out what happen:   wodim is ignoring SCSI
error messages, something Jöerg has written something like this (I think
over two years ago).

Sorry, but I have no time to figure out, why a burner  station  with  28
attached SCSI does not work...

wodim was a little bit to frustrating...

And now with Lenny, my whole  system  produce  per  day  two  hand  full
coredums (the Openoffice cd's are  always  between  600  and  900 MByte,
iceweasel, pidgin, gimp, sometimes mutt, courier,...)

Some of the coredumps are here:
    <http://devel.debian.tamay-dogan.net/coredumps/>

And since I am on GSM/GPRS/UMTS (Upstream arround  10kByte/sec)  ist  is
not realy funny to upload a compressed coredump of 43 MByte on my Server

Note:   I have installed two production systems where the first is
        Lenny and the second Etch where Etch is working but  Lenny
        show problems in mass.  Under Etch I have sound,  but  the
        same  configuration  under  Lenny  does  not  enable   the
        Loudspeaker. There is NOT a singel error message.
        Car is SB Live 5.1! and an onboard VIA.

It is frustrating because when I started for exactly 10 years  in  march
1999 with 2.1/Slink and it worked perfectly...  nearly from scratch!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>               <http://www.can4linux.org/>
+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)