Re: Build-indep as a way to not build doc. (was: Re: Proposed release goal: fix debian/rules build-arch)

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:39:59PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> > If we can ever settle on a suitable implementation, I would expect the
> > savings of both human and CPU cycles to be sizeable, and worth the effort.

> If the problem is limited to local building of packages without their
> documentation, maybe we can consider push forward the DEB_BUILD_OPTION "nodoc".

It doesn't solve the problem that anything needed for the build target has
to be listed in Build-Depends instead of Build-Depends-Indep, so these
packages need to be downloaded/installed unless you start hand-hacking
around this in the package or in the build tools.[1]  But then again,
there's no metadata to tell you which build-dependencies you can ignore when
you're not building docs, so you get to do this by trial and error, which
rather neutralizes the intended time-saving benefits.

Whereas Build-Depends-Indep was always intended to be used for precisely
this, and only the "build-arch" detection problem prevents it being used
this way.

[1] Some document-processing packages (TeX) have quite intensive maintainer
scripts, and are also non-negligible in size.