Build-indep as a way to not build doc. (was: Re: Proposed release goal: fix debian/rules build-arch)

Le Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 03:34:41PM -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> In some cases, building the arch-indep documentation takes longer, and
> requires downloading/installing more build dependencies, than building the
> arch-dep binaries.  I've found this to be a waste of human cycles before
> when building packages locally: since it's not possible to bypass the
> "build-indep" component in a sane fashion, I wind up waiting on the
> arch-indep bits when trying to test out a patch that only affects the
> arch-dependent parts of the package.  If the doc building is expensive
> enough to be noticeable to me when building on amd64, I would imagine that
> the impact on buildds (and hand builds) for slower archs is significant,
> too.
>
> If we can ever settle on a suitable implementation, I would expect the
> savings of both human and CPU cycles to be sizeable, and worth the effort.

If the problem is limited to local building of packages without their
documentation, maybe we can consider push forward the DEB_BUILD_OPTION "nodoc".
This would also help in the case the same problem happens, but with
documentation that is not in an arch=all package.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan