debian/rules being or not a makefile (was: Re: Proposed release goal: fix debian/rules build-arch)

Le Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 03:34:41PM -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:21:42AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > There are also the few packages in the archive that don't have a makefile
> > as debian/rules.  I've been tempted for some time to file RC bugs against
> > all of them.
>
> > http://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-rules-not-a-makefile.html
>
> I'm all in favor of enforcing this policy dictum as RC for squeeze.

Hi again,

It seems that making debian/rules a symbolic link to /usr/bin/dh might actually
work for some packages (although I have not yet tried), so it could be the
perfect timing to double-think whether it is not as heretic as it looks, as
long as it would follow the Policy requirements about the expected result of
"debian/rules clean build binary" (and binary-arch and binary-indep if the
ongoing discussion does not end up in their deprecation).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan