Re: About the current state of the Yum package in Lenny

  Hi,

  I few general remarks about packaging in Debian (I never used yum nor
rpm).

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Philipp Kern wrote:
>> Anyway: there won't be new packages introduced into Lenny.
[...]
> How can I provide a set of patches when the problem is that 2 python
> modules are needed? We can't ship these 2 python modules in yum, this
> goes against the policy, and against any reasonable thinking.

  I think that that the best you can do (if you want to work on this issue) is:
1) propose patches to yum/rpm (via BTS or by [co-]maintaining the package if it
   is possible) so that we get a good working yum/rpm in unstable
2) wait for yum/rpm (and other new packages if any) available in testing and
   realize a backport of them for lenny => lenny users will be able to use
   them easily
3) perhaps, try to push what is available in lenny backport into a point-release
   of lenny. This will depends on how many bug fix are present, how intrusive
   the changes are, the release maintainers opinion, ...

For me, 3 is not the more important. Work on yum/rpm should have been done
earlier to be added in lenny. So you should mainly ensure that squeeze will
be in good shape with respect to yum/rpm. And backports is here for lenny
users if they really needed it.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87