Re: DDE, Debian Data Export

Hi.

Le mercredi 11 février 2009 à 14:55 +0000, Enrico Zini a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> After testing the idea and the prototype with my presentation at Fosdem,
> it's time to announce DDE (http://wiki.debian.org/DDE), Debian Data
> Export.

Very intersting... much easier to retrieve "common" requests responses
than writing an SQL query ;)

SNIP
>  * The solution
>
> DDE is a way to make it simple to publish and download data.  The aim is
> to be able to access all sorts of Debian information without worrying
> about data formats, protocols and access control, and to make it easy to
> discover what data is available.
>
> DDE exports data as a big virtual tree.  You can pick a node in the tree
> by its URL and download all the data that it contains, in a format of
> your choice: currently it supports JSON/JSONP, YAML, CSV and Python
> pickled objects.

One of the criticisms I could make (and made live at your presentation
@FOSDEM), is the lack of semantics (as in Semantic Web W3C standards)
there (somehow what I mentioned also in
http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2009/02/10/udd-swim-flossmetrics-facts-databases-about-libre-software-distributions-going-semantic/ for the curious ones).

I suppose I should try and propose an RDF export plugin for DDE to test
and complement more precisely my criticism.

Note that SWIM @ Mandriva (see my blog post above) proposes some kind of
similar service, where the use of ontologies supposedly help integrate
it with desktop tools (KDE 4.2 nepomuk-enabled ones).

In any case, very interesting tool, which I need to understand more
deeply, I guess.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>