Re: Desktop standards, MIME info cache, and Lintian

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 09:21:10PM +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Maybe i missinterpreted your conclusion, but this what I get in one of my packages:
> >  desktop-mimetype-without-update-call /usr/share/applications/...
> >
> > Now that we have triggers, I really don't see the benefit of adding such a
> > lintian warning. Imho we should get rid of dh_icon and dh_desktop completely and
> > also any manual update-desktop-database calls, not recommend to add such a call
> > (to potentially a *lot* of packages).
> >
> > Why should we update dozens if not hundreds of packages, if we can have the same
> > effect much more elegantly and efficiently with file triggers.
>
> How would you know the trigger needs to be run then? If you remove the call from
> all the packages, you will then have to call the trigger everytime dpkg is run,
> no matter if you only install one package that doesn't need those triggers.

The whole point of triggers is that they watch a set of
files/directories and when changes happen to those files/directories a
command gets run.  They're supposed to make it so that only one package (the
one providing the command that needs to be run) has to know that the command
needs to be run.  This is far less error-prone than relying on every developer
to remember which commands to run in which maintainer scripts.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>