Re: Desktop standards, MIME info cache, and Lintian

Michael Biebl wrote:
> Maybe i missinterpreted your conclusion, but this what I get in one of my packages:
>  desktop-mimetype-without-update-call /usr/share/applications/...
>
> Now that we have triggers, I really don't see the benefit of adding such a
> lintian warning. Imho we should get rid of dh_icon and dh_desktop completely and
> also any manual update-desktop-database calls, not recommend to add such a call
> (to potentially a *lot* of packages).
>
> Why should we update dozens if not hundreds of packages, if we can have the same
> effect much more elegantly and efficiently with file triggers.

How would you know the trigger needs to be run then? If you remove the call from
all the packages, you will then have to call the trigger everytime dpkg is run,
no matter if you only install one package that doesn't need those triggers.

So AFAIUI, your package needs to call those, and then dpkg will not call those
for every package, but do one call at the end if it supports triggers.

Cheers,
Emilio