Re: Kernel legacy

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 23:31 +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> Am So den  1. Feb 2009 um 18:57 schrieb Luk Claes:
> > > With lenny the provided glibc seems to be incompatible to kernel 2.4.
> > > There are many systems out there still running with kernel 2.4 cause
> > > stability. (My servers which needs to be stable all run Kernel 2.4.)

Since 2.4 is not supported by Debian and is barely supported by a few
kernel developers, it is hardly the stable option.  If you are aware of
specific unfixed bugs in Linux 2.6, I suggest you report them.

> > s/lenny/etch/
>
> ? lenny is still correct. etch runs fine with kernel 2.4 (and lower by
> the way).

Maybe it works for you, but it is not supported.  This was made fairly
clear in the release notes:
<http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-newkernel>, <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#s-incompatible-2.4>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.