Re: Bits from the Debian CD team

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 04:20:25AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:32:07PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> That depends on what you mean by a multiarch Blu-ray image. The
>> inherent nastiness of the HFS hybrid code means that we probably won't
>> be able to produce BD images including powerpc at all. BD boot code is
>> identical to that on CD and DVD.
>
>Is there any further documentation on that one? What's the exact issue
>that makes Blu-Ray for powerpc hard to do?

Just empirical so far. The libhfs code in genisoimage/mkisofs is
*horrible*. It barely works acceptably for DVDs, but on Blu-Ray in my
initial testing I had a random mix of crashes and other failures when
I tried to make hybrid images just due to the size.

>(I'd think that if/when we ever support PS3, a powerpc Blu-Ray disk
>would be quite interesting)

Oh, sure.

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"