Re: Bits from the Debian CD team

Goswin wrote:
>Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>
>> Overview of available CD/DVD/Blu-ray images for Lenny
>> Architecture-specific images:
>> * businesscard CD
>> * network install (netinst) CD
>> * full CD (650MB) images, users can now choose between:
>>   - standard CD set, which will by default install GNOME
>>   - special KDE CD
>>   - special light desktop environments CD (LXDE + Xfce)
>> * DVD set
>> * Blu-ray image (only as jigdo files for i386, amd64 and source)
>>
>> Multi-architecture images:
>> * alpha/hppa/ia64 network install CD
>> * i386/amd64/powerpc network install CD
>> * i386/amd64 DVD; also includes source packages
>
>What about a multiarch Blu-ray image? That should have plenty of space
>for everything usualy needed. Or does Blu-ray have a different boot
>mechanism that doesn't allow this?

That depends on what you mean by a multiarch Blu-ray image. The
inherent nastiness of the HFS hybrid code means that we probably won't
be able to produce BD images including powerpc at all. BD boot code is
identical to that on CD and DVD.

The current BD image size for i386 or amd64 is ~20GB which fits
comfortably on a single-layer disc. Last time I checked,
amd64/i386/source would *just* fit on a double-layer disc but I doubt
it will for much longer; it may already have grown too large. I'm
checking that size right now. If there is a lot of demand for other BD
variants, they can be added but we're not going to unless we're
convinced there is a need.

(Result: i386/amd64/source is currently ~47GB so fits ok for now.)

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis