Re: Change user used by package

(I'm subscribed, no need to CC me.)

* Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [090114 14:09]:
> I'm not subscribed, haven't been following the lists for a while.  The
> old package should probably be removed completely in favor of the new.

That's fine.  I didn't know the state of jabber-muc, and didn't see any
indication that Harald Braumann was coordinating with you, so I thought
I would mention it.

> However, more to the point, I don't see why the two packages couldn't
> use the same user.  Why not check during installation to see if the user
> account exists?  If it does, use it.  If not create it?

That is the conclusion reached by the thread, but it won't work if
jabber-common removes the user during purge.  Having the new package
conflict with jabber-common won't work, either, as pointed out
previously in this thread (and is against policy, anyway, IIUC).

The only reason I am involved in this thread is that because of it, I
noticed that jabber-common was going to remove its user on purge, and I
think that is a bug (that will affect me), so I reported it.  IANADD,
but a number of DD's have the same opinion.

...Marvin