Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

In article <[🔎] 20091229135244.GC26404@xvii.vinc17.org> you wrote:
> When the machine is correctly configured (i.e. really has a FQDN),
> "hostname -f" is reliable. But note that this is Debian-specific.

It is not. It is net-tools specific, hostname -f uses gethostbyname. If you
only want the node name, and if the node name is fqdn, you can use
"hostname" or "hostname -s" to get it with or without the domain.

Besides that, I would allow FQDN in /etc/hostname

Gruss
Bernd