Re: automake and intermediate files generated by yacc, lex, valac

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 05:13:29PM +0900, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> But my goal is the opposite: I want to *force* automake to regenerate
> the files, and preferably not even include them in the distribution.

The reason to include the autogenerated files is that while most UNIX based
platforms come with a compiler, most of them do not come with GNU autotools,
valac and other programs necessary to create those autogenerated files. So by
including those files in a release tarball, you're doing a huge favour to many
people who want to compile your project on such platforms.

If you want to force those files to be regenerated, just make sure they are
removed in the clean phase (calling make distclean usually does that job), and
then run autoreconf and/or anything else that is necessary in the configure
phase.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>