Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:58:03AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:

> Hence /etc/hostname.hme0:1 and the like. Already solved.

# ip addr add eth0 192.168.1.1
# ip addr add eth0 192.168.1.2
# cat /etc/hosts
192.168.1.1	www.foo.com
192.168.1.2	smtp.bar.org

Now what /etc/hostname.eth0 should contain? "smtp" or "www"?

You know, we have that kind of infrastructure already. It's called doing
a getnameinfo() on the address returned by getsockname() on the file
descriptor returned by accept() - if you do not explicitely bind() to a
specific address in the first place.

> http://www.spitzner.net/interfaces.html

Oh yeah, I remember those times. However it is a bit outdated regarding
what Linux can do today...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences