Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 03:52:44AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Considering that any non-trivial server needs to send email out, having
> a working FQDN configured is not "obsolete".

I believe mail servers these days generally use /etc/mailname, not hostname -f
(although hostname -f might be the default for /etc/mailname).

I consider using hostname -f for anything other then the initial default value
broken because computers can have multiple network cards, multiple IP
addresses, multiple domains, etc. I generally like to assume my computer isn't
going to break badly because I have to change the output hostname -f returns.

Also, FQDNs are really not applicable to, say laptops, which frequently change
from one network to another. Or some desktops even. I notice on this Ubuntu
laptop `hostname` == `hostname -f` perhaps for this reason.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>