Re: [RFC] DEP-6: Meta-Package debian/control field

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 05:00:35PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:

> > Those are exactly the correct semantics.  It makes no sense to remove the
> > depends of a metapackage *and leave the metapackage installed* - what
> > purpose would that serve?

> Being able to

> # apt-get --purge remove wicd

> (thus removing any dependency/recommends/anything), without caring for the
> removed parts singularly?

That result can be achieved by *not* making wicd a metapackage, and moving
its Depends to Recommends.  So removing wicd-curses will not remove wicd
automatically, but removing wicd will remove wicd-* automatically.

Or do you really mean that you expect the package manager to treat removal
of 'wicd' differently based on whether the removal is triggered by 'apt-get
remove wicd' vs. 'apt-get remove dependency-of-wicd'?