Re: dh_config_model_upgrade: package upgrade with Config::Model

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 17:40:55 Neil Williams wrote:
> No. The package should simply exit cleanly with a successful return
> value if perl does not exist, letting everything else proceed as before.
> The postinst itself needs to check - that way, Emdebian doesn't have to
> patch every package using dh_config_model.

Ok. Here's the new postinst snippet injected by dh_config_model_upgrade:

# In case of error (error in configuration file or model bug), the
# configuration file is left as is.

# testing perl is required to avoid problem in embedded environments
if [[ -e /usr/bin/perl ]]
then
    echo "config-edit is upgrading %PACKAGE% configuration with model
%MODEL%."
    config-edit -model %MODEL% -ui none -save %OPTION% || \
	echo "WARNING: upgrade with config-edit failed: Run 'config-edit -model
%MODEL% -force %OPTION%' and save the configuration."
fi

Does this fit the bill ?

> An alternative is to make dh_config_model* into a no-op if a build
> environment variable is set. DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="noconfigmodel" or
> something. With this set, it has to be entirely equivalent to
> dh_config_model not appearing in debian/rules at all.

Ok. Unless somebeody complains, I will add this at the beginning of
dh_config_model_upgrade:

if ($ENV{DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS} =~ /noconfigmodel/) {
	warn "dh_config_model_upgrade: DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS specifies 'noconfigmodel',
exiting ...\n";
   exit;
}

> It would be so much better if this whole implementation was in C - as
> long as nothing in the config model tried to execute the cross-built
> executable on the build system. Then the ability to disable it via a
> build option would be truly orthogonal to the actual issue of whether
> perl exists.

Well, a C implementation of the core part of Config::Model is possible, but it
would take a while to create. I don't have the bandwidth for this.

All the best

Dominique
--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/