Re: Should ucf be of priority required?

"Manoj Srivastava" <srivasta@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 87my1uhtb7.fsf@anzu.internal.golden-gryphon.com">news:[🔎] 87my1uhtb7.fsf@anzu.internal.golden-gryphon.com...
On Mon, Dec 07 2009, Joe Smith wrote:

The net result here is that ucf may be keeping excess state related to
package foo.

       But it is not. ucf knows well that when it is reinstalled the
state information can't be trusted, it is merely historical, and takes
steps to preserve, but not trust, that data.

It certainly sounds like a plausible way to leak disk space.

       And again, ucf has a limit on the historical data that it
keeps.  Next?

If this is the case (and considering that ucf is your software, I'm sure it is), then I see no reason for any changes.

UCF does the right thing, and its data stores clearly belong to UCF, and no other packages have any claim to them, nor has any level of responsibility beyond notifying ucf on purge if ucf is still around.

So Patrick is worried about nothing, as far as I can tell.