Re: Should ucf be of priority required?

Hi,

(uhm.. I really hate it, if I can't hold the promises to myself I made;
in this case: not further discussing it, but still here is
another answer)

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:04:14AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>         But it is a tenet of software design that to change something
> >>  that is working,  you have to have some justification beyond I wish
> >>  things were different.
> >
> > Making the software better, in this case.
>
>         Again, you make an assertion, without any basis for it. Why is
>  it better, apart from the fact you seem to think it would be? What use
>  case is being negatively impacted?

Yes, I do make an assertion. But not "without any basis". Its just not a
basis that you accept.

All boils down to the points where we disagree the most:
- I consider data that is used *nowhere* as garbage. You think its not
  garbage, because you could use it some time in the future.
- I consider ucf just a tool doing a certain duty on behalf of the
  package requesting it. For me this assumes that data created during
  this task belongs to the package that requested the creation of the
  data in the first place. And it includes providing an interface that
  does exactly what is it told to do. For you the data belongs to ucf
  and it can do with it whatever it wants to do. So if a postrm
  requested to purge the file from the database it would also be okay,
  if ucf didn't do that.

Apart from this you made clear that you don't want to discuss your
software design, because "its not my business". Good to know.

I won't go further trying to change what I think is wrong. You as the
ucf maintainer decided that collecting garbage is okay, because
its not garbage in your opinion. Most other people agreed to that or
didn't comment at all (including those persons who agree with me).
It doesn't matter anyway. Its been a corner case from the beginning,
a seldom one additionally. There is work on-going or at least planned
to merge ucf functionality into dpkg, which is the better solution
IMHO anyway and will probably fix my "problem".

You won't change my mind. I will not change your mind.
So to save us from discussing the topic to death, let us just agree to
disagree, ok?

Best Regards,
Patrick