About repackaging of the ‘orig’ tarball.

Dear FTP team,

In the following message sent on debian-devel
(<20091209003633.GB29897@kunpuu.plessy.org>), it has been suggested that we
repack upstream original source archives when they contain generated files in
order to ease your work. Can you confirm or infirm whether you have a
preference?

Many thanks, and have a nice day,

-- Charles Plessy

Le Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 05:36:54PM +0100, Damien Raude-Morvan a écrit :
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:56:05 +0100, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > I'm triing to package a little java library, which contains its own .jar
> > and some pregenerated docs. These files should be regenerated on build
> time.
> > So I'd like to have them removed by diff.gz
>
> As a general guideline, generated files should be stripped from "original"
> source tarballs.
> If you choose to keep them in orig.tar.{gz,bz2}, it's complicated for
> others people (FTP Masters, reviewers, ...)
> to ensure there is not binary blob or non-free stuff inside your package.

Dear Damien and all,

I personnally tend to prefer to keep the Debian ‘orig’ tarball identical to the
upstream tarball as much as it is possible, so that by its MD5 sum it is
obvious that it is pristine.

I just asked in the same email to the FTP team if this practice is actually
unhelpful. If it is the case, maybe we could document it in the Developers
Reference.

In contrary, if the FTP team, and by extension the developers who spend much
time reviewing packages are indifferent to repackaging, I think that it is
important to have it clarified on this list, since otherwise we drift on some
tradition out of no fact.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy