Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Andreas Marschke
<xxtjaxx@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I haven't had the freedesktop.org in mind at the time of writing it but yes it
> is infact a reason to do this as well.
> The bug is filed and should be open for broader discussion soon.

You should have chosen wishlist severity for the bug (#559895) btw,
please fix that:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

> Should I file the lintian bug too? Or will this have to wait till the fix is
> gone into menu?

Wait until menu has changed.

Thinking about it a bit more, the lintian one probably isn't needed
unless the old categories are to go away.

>> Please note that the Debian menu is not shown by Debian GNOME by
>> default. IIRC LXDE doesn't support it either.
>
> Is this something specific to the gnome/lxde setup in Debian? If so should we
> file a bug  against it?
> I discovered this in KDE as well as fluxbox .

Upstream desktops only support the FreeDesktop menu, GNOME in Debian
supports the Debian menu but has it turned off by default. You'll have
to check the mailing list archives for the actual rationale, but I
think it was because users were getting confused by two menus and
making Debian more like other distros.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/threads.html#00107

LXDE is a new desktop I guess the maintainers have not yet had time to
add support for the Debian menu (see #517190 for more). Here is a
thread about it too:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/02/thrd2.html#00809

I also heard rumblings that the KDE maintainers were going to remove
the Debian menu too.

Personally I think we should have gotten rid of the Debian menu years
ago, I don't think my opinion is shared by many people in Debian
though.

--
bye,
pabs