Re: Policy conformant conffile handling...

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:40:06AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> However, and here's the policy-related problem: Of course the admin
>> might have changed the default paper for one particular binary
>> manually. What should I do in this case?
>
> [...]
>
>> - let libpaper's setting overwrite everything: Probably not intended;
>>   not policy-compliant
>
> Is texconfig being called from maintainer scripts?

In this case, at least indirectly; since I would drop a script into
/etc/libpaper.d/ that calls "texconfig paper $(paperconf -n -d)"

> Using the 'include' capabilities for anything that supports it would surely
> still be better, though.

That's not possible for many of the binaries involved.

@ the TeX list mainly

There's only one use case where *not* setting the paper according to the
system paper actually causes problems, and that is when directly
printing from the command line.  Once a PDF is generated, the PDF viewer
will usually be used for printing, and will have options to deal with
paper mismatches.

In other words, it's mainly dvips that's we need to cater for.  Is there
an include mechanism for dvips, or a way to override settings in
config.ps for all printers?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster