Re: DEP-5: removed files

Hi Thibaut,

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:56:51PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> I remember that debian/copyright should not only list where the
> source was downloaded from, but also the files which were removed by
> the packager and the motivation for the removal (DFSG, patents,
> large convenience copy of a library...). At least, that's how I
> interpret this (from [1], I cannot find an excerpt from policy):

> "3) Include a description of how you obtained the upstream source
> tarball. This should be sufficient for anybody to duplicate the
> process immediately, but don't worry too much if it isn't (eg, the
> server is not public or no longer accessible)."

This is not a requirement of Debian Policy; there are two other ways that
Policy already recommends communicating this information:

 - in the debian/README.source file
 - by way of a get-orig-source target in debian/rules

Providing the same information in debian/copyright would be redundant, and
should be avoided.

> I see no way with the current [2]DEP-5 proposal to store this
> information.

> My proposal would be to add a new type of sections:

> Removed-Files: similar to Files, for removed files
> Rationale: reason for the removal.

Given that Policy says to put this elsewhere than debian/copyright, I don't
think it makes sense for DEP-5 to specify such sections; this is probably
better addressed by including support for free-form comments, as suggested
elsewhere.

Cheers,