Re: Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> writes:
> On pirmadienis 23 Lapkritis 2009 23:35:28 Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> Debian tries to avoid RPATH used in ways that might break multilib or
>> override local administrator settings, which means we want to avoid
>> RPATH pointing to /usr/lib or to build directories and the like.  But
>> RPATH is the correct solution for finding private libraries in a
>> subdirectory included in the package or built from the same source
>> package.

> Is RUNPATH any better? At least "override local administrator settings"
> should not be a problem with it.

RUNPATH is better in that it doesn't override LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Hm, I
wonder if we should recommend its use instead of RPATH for that reason,
since it preserves more of the intention of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I believe it still has problems for multilib if set to things like
/usr/lib.