Re: Package formats and software distribution on Linux

Eugene Gorodinsky <e.gorodinsky@gmail.com> writes:

> No, on the contrary, I'm suggesting to have an additional format for
> software that is not system-specific and leaving the system-specific
> formats to do what they were designed for (i.e. manage system packages)
> rather than reducing the number of formats.

I don't believe the distinction that you're apparently drawing between
system and non-system packages really exists in any meaningful way.  The
dpkg format is well-suited for managing any software that one would like
to install on the system, and I suspect Red Hat users would say the same
thing about RPM.  Both of them are general package formats with a slightly
different mix of features and tradeoffs.