Re: Re: Package formats and software distribution on Linux

>  I've read that several times, but I still must be missing something.
>My impression is that your poins is essentially the following: 1. it's
>too much work for "small distros" to use any new format instead of one
>of the big established ones; 2. let's reduce the number of big
>established formats to one.

No, on the contrary, I'm suggesting to have an additional format for
software that is not system-specific and leaving the system-specific
formats to do what they were designed for (i.e. manage system
packages) rather than reducing the number of formats.