Re: New source package formats now available

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:
> even simpler, an option or a format that would completely ignore what is
> outside the debian directory:

That's option "-i.*". As I said I plan to support the -i -I option
inside debian/source/options just like I recently added support for -z -Z
there. But I'm pretty sure that using ".*" as value is a bad idea because
you can end up building a binary package that does not match the source
package that you upload together with the binary packages.

> As it is already the case with Format 1.0 when the maintainer took care of
> having a diff.gz file that only contains files within the debian directory, the
> packaging system would not patch or unpatch the upstream sources, leaving this
> task to the maintainer.

That's still the same here, dpkg-source only comes into play ith its quilt
patch when the upstream files are modified.

If the automatic patch was not versionned, you would always regenerate a
single diff that is exactly like the old .diff.gz. Would that please those
that prefer staying with 1.0 ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog