Re: New source package formats now available

	Hi! :)

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [2009-11-22 10:48:14 CET]:
> > Note that the squeeze release goal only talks about 3.0 (quilt), not 3.0
> > (native), which kind of suggests 3.0 (quilt) is being forced down.
> > That's maybe not what you are thinking, but it's how it feels.
>
> Well, the combination 3.0 (quilt) + 3.0 (native) offers the same range of
> choice as 1.0 alone in a more explicit manner. 3.0 (native) is for native
> packages and 3.0 (quilt) is for all the other who have an upstream tarball
> + a debian dir.

 Actually, I feel rather to convert my packages to 3.0 (native) + quilt.
The way quilt is implied in 3.0 (quilt) doesn't seem to be helpful (to
me).

 If you want to really make proper use of it (like seperating into
feature patches instead of one per upload) you need to have quilt
installed anyway, and speaking of NMUs, people that just download the
source, patch and upload will produce low-standard patches, most
probably not following the DEP3 because dpkg with 3.0 (quilt) doesn't
really offer what quilt offers. It feels a bit like the regression that
svn brought on top of cvs with taking away the posibility to tag
properly (but create tag-branches instead).

 3.0 (quilt) looks like a good idea, but it's still rough at the edges
somehow. :/  And about not needing a README.Source for it, I don't see
that because otherwise we wouldn't have the need for discussions like
that, especially if we want to have proper DEP3 tagged patches. :)

> > OTOH, "dpkg-source -x" should result in the same tree (including the .pc
> > directory), whatever the status of quilt installation is on the system.
> > Or if that is not possible without quilt, then dpkg-dev should depend on
> > quilt.
>
> I don't agree with that statement. dpkg-source implements a subset of
> quilt to work without that tool installed, that subset defines the
> interface of the source package and it does not include the .pc directory
> in the general case. If you want that part which is internal to quilt
> itself, you just have to install quilt.

 It is causing troubles for people that are familiar with quilt and
think they will be able to work with quilt with the source package when
they dpkg-source -x it - which unfortunately isn't the case. Only when
quilt is installed, but then, this is getting different results
depending on the environment one has, and I thought this was always one
of the big NO-GOs in Debian that we should avoid - and here we have it
even intentional? Sorry that this doesn't make me (and from what I can
see others too) happy  :/

 About "you just have to install quilt" - *before* you unpack the
source. If you install it afterwards, you have lost.

 So long, and thanks. :)
Rhonda