Re: nexuiz-data does not fit on a single CD

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 01:22:46AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Mike Hommey

> | > Well, you see, my current computer (Lenovo x200s) does not have an
> | > optical drive at all. I had to install Debian using an usb stick. It
> | > does have a fast enough CPU and graphics card to play nexuiz though,
> | > mind you.
> | >
> | > My point is that the fact that our packages are showing the age of the
> | > media we still want to support should not be a bug.
> |
> | It surely is a bug for those who care about CDs. But Zack's point is:
> | should it be RC, normal, minor, or wontfix ?
>
> I disagree with it being a bug in the package; if the data needs to be
> so big because of quality of textures or number of levels or whatever,
> that's just how the world is.

If for the quality of the textures, or some other difficult to divide
data, fair enough, but if it's for the number of levels (or other
logically separable unit) it would make sense to split it by level,
with a separate package for the first (or first few) levels that should
be a Depends, with subsequent levels being Recommends.

That way, not only can the game and first levels be on the CDs, with the
bulk of the levels either being tacked on to later CDs (or simply left
off), but if someone wants to have a look at the game to see if they
like it, they don't have to waste time/bandwidth in order to discover
that it's not for them.

Cheers, Phil.