Re: ITP: mercurial-buildpackage (for those who care about Mercurial)

I demand that Jens Peter Secher may or may not have written...

> 2009/11/21 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:
>> Jens Peter Secher <jps@debian.org> writes:
>>> As I see it, there is no need for using Mercurial Queues (mq) with
>>> mercurial-buildpackage because dpkg-source format "3.0 (quilt)" has
>>> the same purpose as mq, namely to wrap around quilt to achieve
>>> automatic patch handling.
>> Not quite. The Mecurial Queues are under version control. [...]

*May* be under version control. If so, it's a separate repository; and if you
want it to be public, you have to push it separately (I don't see equivalents
of 'push', 'pull', 'in' and 'out' there short of using --cwd).

[snip]
> Hmm, the debian/patches/ are also under version control.

That directory *will* be, yes.

> I am afraid I still do not see a real difference...

It looks like something like the following will work:

  * make .hg/patches a symlink to debian/patches;
  * add debian/patches/status and debian/patches/guards to .hgignore;
  * require that .hg/patches/series is quilt-compatible (no guards);
  * require that .hg/patches/guards is empty or non-existent;
  * deapply patches at build time ("hg qpop --all"; abort build on failure).

(No, I don't have a patch for this.)

>> All in a way mercurial users are use to.

> ...except for the above (assuming Mercurial really are used to MQ).

I've made some use of that where I use mercurial; better that than quilt,
given the integration into mercurial.

>> That means people have to use quilt and mercurial. With mercurisl
>> queues you would have only mercurial and the quilt part is hidden.

Agreed.

>> I'm not saying mercurial queues should be forced onto the user but I
>> think it would be nice to support them.

I'm not sure that quilt should be forced onto the user unless it's properly
integrated into the VCS; and where the VCS has its own patch queue
management, that should be preferred.

> Sure, but I do not know how to do that at the moment. :-)

See above (probably). :-)

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/

Happiness adds and multiplies as we divide it with others.