Re: nexuiz-data does not fit on a single CD

severity 557218 important
thanks

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:59:07AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 14:00 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >   the Debian CD team (in the person of Steve McIntyre) has noted the
> > enormous size of nexuiz-data, which means the package won't fit on a
> > single CD. I'm setting severity serious because this de facto means the
> > package cannot be distributed to our CD users. I agree that the severity
> > can be controversial since we have other ways of distributing packages;
> > feel free to downgrade, better if after discussion with the release team
> > (even better by reducing the size ;-))
>
> This is silly. I haven't seen bug reports about packages not fitting in
> diskettes, and it would not make any sense if they were filed! =).

Apparently, a lot of people (not only you, also people on IRC) have
missed the following bits of the above quoted text:

> > feel free to downgrade

So, let me clarify, I just wanted to prod a decision on whether we want
for our packages the property that packages fit on a CD. Nothing more
than that (besides of course submitting a bug report, that helps keeping
track of the issue).

Personally I completely agree with what you said, CD (at least as a
medium to get the whole of Debian) are the past and I couldn't care less
about supporting them. That, in my eyes, does not solve our problem of
deciding whether we want to support them _nevertheless_, given that CD
are not so long in the past, and given that not every citizen in the
world has a bandwidth capable of downloading 750 Mb.

That said, I'm downgrading severity, but doing that IMO would not solve
our need to decide on this issue.

Cheers.