Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On 2009-11-18, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not generally true. There are are classes of bugs that appear on
> different platforms _due to being different platforms_, not just because
> they were latent bugs waiting to be discovered. I presume that packages
> that require as much efficiency as possible (like Charles is implying in
> his packages) are very likely to implement platform-specific
> hacks/optimizations to run faster. It can be considered bad design, ugly
> and whatnot, but it is irrelevant if nobody ever uses other platforms.

However that's one *exact* use-case for P-a-s.  If you do such optimizations.
(C.f. zsnes with its x86 assembly as a hard example.)

Mostly, though, I'd guess that it's written in a higher-level language without
resorting to architecture-dependent assembly.  And this code should, barring
alignment issues, also run on other platforms.

(Ok, there are weird cases of stack growing upwards, that's a special case
I agree upon.  However in most programs you do not need to deal with this
fact.)

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern