Re: Lintian based autorejects

On 01/11/09 at 15:31 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ Adding -qa to Cc ]
>
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 02:22:28AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > For future handling: If we are adding tags to the list that will hit
> > > more than a few packages we will send a notice to the d-d-a list.
> >
> > I don't think it's appropriate for the ftp team to add any other checks
> > without notifying the project, regardless of how many packages are currently
> > affected.  Please make sure you notify the project of /any/ additional rules
> > you apply at archive accept time.
>
> ACK on this.
>
> While I heartly welcome this addition, I see the centralization of the
> tag decision process as potentially dangerous; not for "power" reasons,
> but rather for the bad feelings (and related flamefests!) such changes
> can leave behind and for the potential bottleneck risks (nowadays FTP
> master is luckily and finally more stuffed than in the past, but
> tomorrow who knows?).
>
> So, I revamp a proposal I made in a corner of this thread:
>
>   Let the QA team decide upon the non overridable lintian errors.
>
> Rationale: the QA mailing list is considered to be a rather good venue
> to discuss and reach consensus, also it is one of the places where
> lintian maintainers discuss various issues, and (trivially) QA is the
> supposed place where to enforce project-wide QA.
> (Full disclosure: yes, I'm currently an active QA member.)

I don't think that it's a good idea to give the reviewing power to the
QA team: QA team membership is loosely defined, and if we were to make
policy decisions, we would have to have a clear process to determine who
is empowered to take those decisions.

I'm fine with letting ftpmasters take that decision. However, they
should consult the project before adding new tags (mail to -devel: "We
are thinking of adding those new tags to our list, comments?" instead of
a mail to -devel saying "We just blocked the following tags"), and
listen to feedback. If someone feel that they made a mistake, it's
always possible to appeal to the TC.