Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

Le Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 08:02:46AM +0100, Michael Tautschnig a écrit :

> Debian Policy 4.9 guarantees that the behavior of debian/rules will be the same
> if called as either make -f debian/rules or simply debian/rules.

Is there any piece of our infrastructure that needs this feature ? If not, I do
not see much benefit enforcing it.

As an example, I just downloaded the ‘hello-debhelper’ packages and replaced
debian/rules by a symbolic link to /usr/bin/dh. The binary packages built fine
with dpkg-buildpackage. (The source packages needed the format 3.0 (quilt),
for which good news are expected soon.)

The other example you gave, the -j option, is also actually a good example to
show that debian/rules does not need to be a makefile (and hence does not need
to be callable by ‘make -f’). The Policy interface for parallel building is
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS…

To me, this is just another example of how the Policy is sometimes going too far in
chosing how developers should implement interfaces, instead of simply
specifying the interface.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy