Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On 28/10/09 at 19:05 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Actually, there is. My states makefile can no longer
> include debian/rules, because, you see, it is not a makefile. There are
> other ways that it does not look like a makefile, walk like a makefile,
> or quack like one.

The debian/rules file in the vdr* packages _is_ a makefile. It just
doesn't have the shebang line required by policy.
I don't think there's anything that prevents you from including it.

Also, if SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX is not set,
/usr/share/vdr-dev/make-special-vdr.sh just calls make -f "$@", so I
don't see why calling, for example, "debian/rules -d clean" would not
work as expected.

It sounds like several people in this discussion are shooting at an easy
target without looking at the specific details.