Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 07:05:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28 2009, Tobi wrote:
>
> > Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> >>         This is what the make directive 'include' is all
> >>  about. Conditionally, include fileA or fileB. Each file is all
> >>  uncontaminated now.
> >>
> >>         This is not a technical  shortcoming of using Makefiles.
> >
> > You're right. What we do might be possible from "within" the Makefile
> > itself. Maybe even a custom cdbs rule might be possible. But it's not that
> > easy and it would make the debian/rules less readable.
>
>         I beg to differ.  It is really trivial, and it does not make the
>         rules file less readable
>
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
> ifeq (,$(srip $(ENV_VAR_WE_LOOK_FOR)))
> include regular.mk
> else
> include special.mk
> endif

ummm, I don't think so. Have you actually looked at the packages? I'd
suggest trying to provide a patch for one of them, because looking at
this now it seems very non-trivial to "fix"...and this is from an
outsider just like you, I've never even heard of these packages (just
did a quick apt-get source and looked around).

I don't see what the problem is...this really feels like bikeshedding
to me. why not just let them do it their way? it's still a Makefile
from every point that matters (just not "head -1").

Honestly this doesn't affect me so I don't care whether or not you let
them do this, but I just think you shouldn't call it "trivial", it (at
least to me) clearly isn't, and your proposed solution doesn't provide
the ellegance that their current one does.

--
Ryan Niebur